Is kratom legal in Idaho?
Kratom is illegal in six states, but is it legal in Idaho? Despite being a natural remedy to help treat chronic pain, PTSD, lethargy, and mental health disorders—many republican state officials and law enforcers wish to make it illegal.
Idaho’s conservative state legislation isn’t the most conscientious of nature; Idaho lawmakers have passed a law in favor of killing 90% of the state’s wolves, despite the fact that they play a vital role in rural ecosystems.
Fortunately, kratom is currently legal in Idaho, despite a past proposal to ban it. Will Idaho ban kratom in the future? Let’s look more closely at Idaho’s legal outlook on kratom.
History of kratom legality in Idaho
Idaho introduced its first bill related to kratom on February 28, 2020. HB567 was aimed at introducing regulations for kratom products, on par with the Kratom Consumer Protection Act.
If this bill is were passed, it would have required the following:
- Idaho kratom sellers would need to register with the Idaho Department of Agriculture
- Kratom sold in Idaho must be free of contaminants, synthetic alkaloids, or controlled substances
- Kratom can contain no more than 2% of 7-hydroxymitragynine alkaloid content
- Kratom must have a lab report certificate to prove its contents
- No kratom can be sold that tests positive for E. coli or toxic metals
- Labels required for all products
- You must be 21 years of age or older to buy or sell kratom
- Charges faced with violations of these regulations
These regulations would have been similar to Georgia’s kratom regulations and other states that have met with the American Kratom Association to implement regulations to assure kratom safety.
Unfortunately for kratom consumers, the bill died in committee, leaving kratom legal for consumption in Idaho but unregulated. This is not ideal—kratom regulation laws protect the future of kratom legality in states where it is controversial. Without being regulated, Idaho government officials may opt to ban it in the future.
Regulate Kratom in Idaho
Getting the Idaho state legislature to pass a bill similar to the one they introduced in 2020 is important to assure that kratom will remain legal in Idaho in upcoming years. No action was taken on the bill, but compelling accounts from citizens could urge the state Representatives to reintroduce a kratom regulation bill and pass it.
Tell your government officials why kratom is important to you, and how regulating it will protect kratom consumers from salmonella and other contaminants.
Contact Idaho State Legislators here, and join the Idaho Kratom Association Facebook Group, or visit their website.
- Idaho Falls
- Coeur d'Alene